Driving under the influence is always a serious charge but an aggravated DUI could leave you facing even more serious consequences. In Idaho, an aggravated DUI is a felony charge and it can result in harsh punishments. If you have been charged with this offense, it means that in addition to being accused of driving while intoxicated, the police also believe you committed other offenses. The personal and professional consequences of an aggravated DUI conviction can be long-lasting so you should not take such an accusation lightly.
Under Idaho’s statutes, an individual is guilty of aggravated DUI if they cause great bodily harm or permanent disability or disfigurement to anyone other than themselves while under the influence of an intoxicating substance. That substance may be alcohol or any type of drug.
Several circumstances can lead to such a charge. However, some situations are more common than others. In most cases, aggravated DUI charges arise when an intoxicated driver causes an accident that results in serious injury or death to someone in another vehicle. However, you can also be charged with an aggravated DUI if you cause injury or death to someone who was traveling in your car.
Injuring or killing a pedestrian or bicyclist can also lead to an aggravated DUI charge. If you’ve been arrested and accused of this offense, you need to contact a Boise DUI attorney as soon as possible. You will need advice and representation from an experienced lawyer.
Penalties for an Aggravated DUI in Idaho
If you are convicted of an aggravated DUI in Idaho you’ll be looking at:
- Prison time. You could spend up to 15 years in an Idaho prison.
- Probation. This isn’t common. However, in special circumstances, you may be able to get probation. You would still have to spend at least 30 days in jail.
- Fines. The maximum is $5,000.
- Restitution. You may be asked to compensate the victim (s) for injuries or property damage resulting from the crime.
- Driver’s license suspension. When you get out of prison, you won’t be able to resume driving immediately. Your license will be suspended for one to five years and you won’t be eligible for a limited license.
- Installation of an ignition interlock device. When your license is reinstated, this machine will have to be installed on any vehicle you drive. You will have to blow into it before you start the car and if alcohol is detected, you won’t be able to drive.
- Alcohol evaluation, treatment, and counseling. This will include a victim impact panel and it will all be at your own expense.
Other Possible Consequences
In addition to the official penalties, the felony conviction will stay on your record. This is not a minor matter since it could make it difficult to get into college, get scholarships or secure employment. Your reputation and personal relationships could also be under threat.
Also, the victim may file a civil lawsuit against you to recover any damages not covered by a restitution order. If you’ve been convicted of a crime, it will be very difficult to present a defense in a civil case. That’s why it’s so important to hire a lawyer and try to beat the aggravated DUI charge.
How An Attorney Will Help You
Even though aggravated DUI charges are serious, it doesn’t mean your situation is hopeless. Each case is unique so you shouldn’t assume your experience will be the same as someone else’s. You need to hire someone who can fight on your behalf. A skilled attorney will examine all the facts surrounding your case and work hard to mount the strongest possible defense.
If they can get the charge reduced or dismissed, they will do so. If there’s a possibility that you can be acquitted, they will work hard to make this happen. If you plead guilty or a jury rules against you, your lawyer will try to get you the lowest possible sentence. Be honest with your attorney and tell them your side of the story so they can mitigate on your behalf.
Hire an Experienced Attorney from the Trilogy Law Group to Fight for You
Don’t try to handle your case alone or rely on a busy public defender. Contact the Boise DUI lawyers at the Trilogy Law Group and get the attention you deserve. Our experienced team has helped many people charged with DUIs and we will do everything we can to ensure you’re treated fairly. An aggravated DUI charge doesn’t have to ruin your life. Book a free consultation today.